Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Sound's like LIFE to me....


Music is good for the soul. I truly believe that. It seems there is a song out there for every mood, every situation, and every special moment. We can hear a song that takes us back to another time, another place, and makes us smile, laugh, cry, or reminisce. That is why I love music and rarely do much without it.
Music is always on in my car as I drive. I turn my MP3 player on while I am doing housework or working out. Many mornings the radio is playing while I am getting ready for work. We go out to clubs or bars, concerts and fairs, church gatherings and dances, to listen to the music and let go of life’s worries for a short time.
What would a dance be without music? Have you ever watched a movie and noticed how the music sets the tone of the movie and what is to come? A movie wouldn’t be the same if we couldn’t anticipate what was around the corner, or the sadness or happiness that the character feels.
When I was growing up, my parents listened to mostly country music. I am a fan of country from the 1970’s and 80’s. Some of those songs make me feel like I am a kid again. They take me back to a time and place when life was easy. Carefree. Some of the old “hair bands,” that were popular in the 80’s, are also a favorite of mine. They remind me of my sister and childhood friends. Good times and good memories that I will always remember.
Who hasn’t broken up with a significant other and listened to all the sappy love songs? It may not be entirely healthy, but we all do it. We have those select songs that we refer to as “our song,” meaning the song that speaks for you and your significant others relationship. Maybe you danced to the song together for the first time. Maybe you walked down the aisle with that song playing.
Songs from our past our imbedded in our souls and when the music starts, we can’t help but sing along to the words and smile. Sometimes new songs come along at the right moment, touch us just when we need it, and leave a lasting impression with their words of wisdom. I had this happen to me yesterday on my way home from work.
I have been in a real funk lately. Life sometimes beats us up and the only thing we know how to do is wallow in our self pity. When I get this way, I go through all the bad and unfair things that have happened to me in my life and throw them out on the table so I can rehash everything over and over. Stupid. But, sometimes I forget how to be grateful for all I do have. So anyway, back to my story. I don’t listen to much country music, just the old stuff. I turned it on a country station and the following song was playing……

Got a call last night from an old friend’s wife
Said I hate to bother you
Johnny Ray fell off the wagon
He’s been gone all afternoon
I know my buddy so I drove to Skully’s
And found him at the bar
I say hey man, what’s going on
He said I don’t know where to start

Sarah’s old car’s about to fall apart
And the washer quit last week
We had to put momma in the nursing home
And the baby’s cutting teeth
I didn’t get much work this week
And I got bills to pay
I said I know this ain’t what you wanna hear
But it’s what I’m gonna say

(Chorus)
Sounds like life to me it ain’t no fantasy
It’s just a common case of everyday reality
Man I know it’s tough but you gotta suck it up
To hear you talk you’re caught up in some tragedy
It sounds like life to me

Well his face turned red and he shook his head
He said you don’t understand
Three kids and a wife depend on me
And I’m just one man
To top it off I just found out
That Sarah’s 2 months late
I said hey bartender set us up a round
We need to celebrate

(Chorus)
Sounds like life to me plain old destiny
Yeah the only thing for certain is uncertainty
You gotta hold on tight just enjoy the ride
Get used to all this unpredictability
Sounds like life

Man I know it’s tough but you gotta suck it up
To hear you talk you’re caught up in some tragedy
Sounds like life to me
Sounds like life

I smiled for the first time all day long. Not because this song said, “Poor Tarah. Life has been truly unfair to you. You are a victim.” Nope. I smiled because it says, “I know it’s tough but you gotta suck it up. To hear you talk you’re caught up in some tragedy. Sounds like LIFE to me.” Life is hard. Life is uncertain in every possible way. Here today, gone tomorrow. Happiness is what you make of it. The people around you will love you or hate you, but they are there for a reason. Every heartache, every challenge, every disappointment……It was put there for a reason, to help you overcome your weaknesses. I know the person I am inside. I know what my heart goes through. I know all my thoughts and feelings. Therefore, I know I am a good person and I’m strong. I can overcome anything.
Funny, that a cheesy little country song allowed me to say this about myself. 

1 comment:

  1. You are AmAzInG!! And you are a good person don't let anyone tell ya different! And I'm gonna go buy that song on i-tunes right now:)

    ReplyDelete