


For those of us on a budget, it’s hard to go without certain things in our beauty regimen. When you are trying to cut back and save money, or just plain broke, it’s almost impossible to give up certain items. It would be so much easier to be a guy, I think. The average dude, on a daily basis use: a bar of soap, shampoo, cologne, deodorant, and an electric shaver, or shaving gel and a disposable razor. Some will use a little hair gel or hairspray, but not many.
I started to think about all the beauty products I use and can’t live without. It’s insane! Let’s start with the first steps to my day. I get in the shower and use a mild cleansing scrub such as Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub, $6.50. Then I move on to shampooing and conditioning my hair. I prefer a salon brand product such as Brocato (for you Parra), but usually end up using something from the store. I like L’Oreal Vive Pro Nutrigloss Shampoo and Conditioner, $4.99/a piece. For my body wash, I like Dove Body Wash Crème, $8.49. You have to have a loofah for that. You can pick those up for a $1.00. If I am shaving that day, I like the BIC Soleil razors, $6.99 for a 4 pack. My shave cream is Skintimate Moisturizing Cream Shave, $3.49. Now I must brush my teeth. I use Colgate Luminous, $3.49.
Now I’m out of the shower, with just shaved legs, I’ll use some lotion on them, or baby oil. I will only use lotion from Bath and Body Works or Victoria’s Secret. My favorite right now, Bath and Body Works Black Amethyst body lotion, $10.50. Baby oil is super cheap and is used for more than just freshly shaven legs. I also use it to remove eye makeup and keep the skin around my eyes moisturized and soft. I also use petroleum jelly for that (great for dry feet after a bath, too). Chalk up $2.00 more dollars for that. Now I put on deodorant. I love Secret Flawless solid, $4.99.
My face care is next. I am the girl who could go in Sephora (www.sephora.com) and spend HOURS upon HOURS. I love skin care and makeup. Oh, man this is where it all gets insanely tricky. Most of the time my skin is really acne prone and I’m forever battling blemishes. The only thing that seems to work is Proactive at about $30.00 for the cleanser, toner, moisturizer, acne mask, and oil control lotion. It’s a great deal, I think. But I have to take a break from it from time to time. I try to use just an oil free daily moisturizer like Neutrogena, $7.99. But now that I’m in my 30’s, I’m thinking about trying Bare Escentuals RareMinerals Purely Nourishing Facial Moisturizer, $32.00. I’ve heard it is excellent and I’ve used the cleanser in that line.
Makeup. Sigh. Love make up. My ultimate favorite that I can’t live without: Bare Escentuals. You can get a great “getting started kit” at Sephora for $60.00.
What this kit includes:
- 0.06 oz bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation in Medium
- 0.06 oz bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation in Medium Beige
- 0.06 All Over Face Color in Warmth
- 0.06 oz Mineral Veil
- Full Flawless Face Brush
- Flawless Application Face Brush
- Maximum Coverage Concealer Brush
- a How-to instructional DVD
- BONUS - Exclusively for SEPHORA : 0.05 oz Prime Time Foundation Primer
Fabulous, fabulous stuff. Their eye shadows, Warmth, Mineral Veil, and blushes last forever! The brushes are top of the line and awesome. Not a bad deal. My mascara is usually whatever sounds good. I change every time I buy something new. You have to figure about $8.00 for that, $7.00 for eyeliner. I don’t use much lipstick, just gloss. I like all the Victoria’s Secret lip glosses at 2 for $10.00.
Hair Care: Since I have blonde, highlighted hair, it tends to look dry at times. The first thing I put on my hair is Kenra Platinum Silkening Gloss, $14.45. I am addicted to this stuff and the smell is yummy. Next I use Brocato Volumizing Spray on my roots. I get this from sister so I have no price. I also use Brocato Hair Spray and a Shine spray when my hair is done. I’m sure these three products retail for around $25.00 or $30.00. Sometimes I use more product than this, but this is just an average day.
Now that my makeup is on, my hair is done, I might use some perfume if I don’t think my yummy Black Amethyst lotion is enough. Everyone knows a good perfume is anywhere from $45-$85. They usually last quite a while though.
After adding all that up, that is about $315.00 worth of products. If I had to start all over from scratch, I would have to go out and spend that much money just to get to the point where I can get ready on a daily basis. Does this make me high maintenance? I think of all the girls out there that get pedicures, manicures, nails, facials, massages, waxing, hair treatments and coloring, and go tanning. Not to mention Botox and cosmetic surgery! The price of beauty and feeling good about one’s self is not cheap! I haven’t even explored talking about clothes and they are just as much of part of our beauty as our makeup and hair. Shoes, jeans, dresses, shirts, bras, and panties, oh my!
I know I’m not that high maintenance. Not that I don’t want to be at times (who doesn’t love spending money on yourself?). I don’t know how women do it, honestly. No wonder husbands complain!
Tarah, I love the look of your blog! It's oh so cute, and fits your title wonderfully:) And you kill me I love reading all your thoughts it's kinda like a lil therapy for myself! LUV IT!!
ReplyDeleteLOVE IT!! I really liked this post.. It's SOO worth the money to make yourself feel pretty. I heart make-up!! I'm addicted to it.. seriously! It's awful! I too heart that black amethyst from B&BW. Yummy. I"m also addicted to sensual amber. Yummy!
ReplyDelete